Hello readers, welcome back and Happy New Year! Today’s post will be relatively brief, but hopefully insightful. With that being said, let’s get buffed out!
With the beginning of the new yearn people will set out to achieve one of the most cliché goals known to society: to lose weight. Over time, I have noticed that there seems to be a very negative stigma with regards to New Year resolutioners who aspire to lose weight. Whether it is memes depicting the emptiness of gyms after a couple of weeks post-new year’s day or blatant ridiculing of these goal-setters, people can’t seem to be positive towards them. Whether you have been one of the few who yell “Shame! Shame!” at the resolutioners is irrelevant (I know I have); now is the time to make a change and help those tip toeing into the waters of fitness.
The truth is that Forbes.com estimates that only about 8% of people who resolve to lose weight will have success after 2 months of setting their goal. With that alarming statistic in mind, it is important to remember that we should remain positive with the people who do choose to chase this goal. Remember, out of the next 100 people you see, only 8 of them will be able to succeed. These rare 8% represent the population who are able to overcome the mental obstacles thrown by us; it is not them who needs our encouragement and support, it is the remaining 92%. Although people are largely responsible for their own success and failures, a strong support system goes a long way. Remain positive and aid those who you need it; give tips on workouts, techniques, food choices, and motivation.
For those of you who resolved to lose x amount of weight this year, eat healthier, get fitter, or commit to a new workout regime, awesome! Keep up your can-do attitude and your “New Year, New Me” motto! Although the phrase is overused and very cliché, it is never too late to start a new journey. There is nothing wrong with your beginning on January 1st, 2017. There will be days where you fail or feel like calling t quits while saying “2018 will be my year!”, but consistency is key. What you have chosen to do is something that you need to chip at, little by little. The best things in life are not free, they require work and sacrifice, and the best things in life do not come easy. Stick to your goal, and you will be able to achieve it. Good luck! Happy New Year #FitFam!