Hello readers! Let’s get buffed out! With the Christmas holiday coming to a closing and the New Year about to begin, I would like to discuss with you why working out with a partner would benefit you. This would definitely become relevant when deciding to commit to your Fitness Resolution with a friend or relative. Some of you may prefer to workout solo, keeping the focus and intensity at a level that you want (which is perfectly reasonable), but for others, working out with a partner is almost a necessity. With that being said, here are some reasons to workout with a buddy.
- EXTRA MOTIVATION/ACCOUNTABILITY: As previously stated, some prefer to workout alone, but for a large amount of people, that is simply not an option. For those who need that extra push or vote of confidence, this will come in abundance when you have a good workout partner. They will be the ones telling you “one more rep!” as you are beginning to feel like racking the weight and calling it a set or “one more lap” as your run at the track is coming to a finish. They will be the ones who compliment you the most on your progress and help you see the small changes that your mind will not allow you to. They will be the ones who help you break through your ceiling. Also, having a gym buddy will mean that you MUST meet your friend at the gym at the agreed time (morning or afternoon) otherwise, that would make you the friend who stands people up. This accountability will be what drives you to stay focused on making it to workouts and maintaining discipline with your eating, because to have a good partner, you also need to BE a good workout partner.
2. SPOT ME BRO!: Of course, when we are pushing ourselves (particularly with weightlifting) it is best to have a reliable spotter. With a partner, you will no longer have to worry about not completing that extra rep that you feel would be a significant challenge at the end of your set. Your partner will be there to aid you if your muscles begin to exhaust mid-rep. You will also be able to return the favor. By spotting each other, you and your partner will be able to tear those muscle fibers even more by completing those few force-reps. “The difference between being good and great is one more rep!”
3. GAP IN KNOWLEDGE: If you happen to be a beginner in your workout of choice, having someone who has experience accompany you will be invaluable as you progress towards your goals. If your partner is knowledgeable, they will be able to give you tips on improving technique, maximizing workouts for muscle growth and conditioning, and how to use alternative workouts to utilize the same muscle groups. Although this type of knowledge can be gained on your own (via youtube), the feedback and input from a “coach”, so to speak, is something that you can’t put a price on. For example, when I first began lifting in 7th grade, the only exercise I knew (from watching workout scenes in movies) were the bench press and isolated dumbbell curl, albeit my technique was sloppy. Through the help of my workout partner (family member), who was a senior in HS, I was able to learn new techniques and workout routines for when I was alone.
4. PARALLEL LEVEL OF FITNESS: Having a workout partner whose knowledge and fitness level mirror your own, will give you someone to grow and compare yourself with. Whether it is you and your partner’s first day on the grind, or your one-thousandth the comparison will always be able to be mad. The mirrored fitness level will also make it easy to push each other’s limits in a friendly competition, if you are the competitive type. This type of competition makes use that extra gear during and at the end of a workout, because no one wants to be the “loser”.
5. “COUPLES THAT WORKOUT TOGETHER, STAY TOGETHER”: The old adage may not be scientifically proven, but it can be assumed that by working out together, people in relationships can strengthen not only their bodies, but also their relationship. If you choose to have your SO be your workout partner, you will know that your support system at home will be rock solid. Your foundation will be strong; with both of you on the same page and chasing your own respective fitness goals together, the only thing stopping you from achieving them is yourselves.
So there you have it; 5 reasons to workout with a partner! I hope everyone’s Christmas holiday went amazingly. Comment what you think of the post, other reasons to workout with a partner, and don’t forget to share! Share! Share! Share! Thanks for reading and have a great day!